Get into the festivities this Earth Day and every day going forward for a brighter sustainable future by trying some of these DIY ideas. Mother Earth will thank you for your greener choices!
Idea 1: DIY Sustainable All-purpose Cleaner
Put the clean back in your all-purpose cleaner! This DIY cleaner is free from harmful toxins, making it a better option for you and the Earth. Plus, it’s perfect for cleaning almost every mess.
Ingredients:1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup White vinegar
15-20 drops Essential Oil of choice
How to: In a spray bottle, combine and mix ingredients, shaking if needed.
Idea 2: Composting
Make your house plants and your planet happy with compost! Compost is the mixture of organic material that helps fertilize the soil that brings our Earth and all its plants to life. Not only does composting benefit the planet, but it’s also super easy to do at home!
Idea 3: Eat More Plant-based Foods
Celebrate Earth Day by trying out a plant-based diet! Plant-based nutrition is a diet derived from eating plant-based proteins, dairy alternatives and even meatless meats! Now, with so many delicious options, going plant-based for yourself and the planet is easier than ever!
Idea 4: Reusable Water Bottles
A reusable water bottle is an easy and cost-effective way to be good to our Earth! Single-use plastic bottles often don’t get recycled, making them harder for our Earth to break down. Luckily, glass and stainless-steel water bottles can be bought just about anywhere and are the perfect on-the-go.
Idea 5: Grow a Food-scrap Garden
If you’ve got leftover scraps from your produce, you can easily grow more with these simple tips. Try this variety for an at-home salsa garden.
- Tomatoes: Remove the seeds from the inside of a ripe tomato, allow them to dry and plant in a small pot of soil. Place in direct sunlight and water two to three times per week. Once the plant is large enough, you can move it to a bigger pot and continue growing it outside.
- Peppers: Peppers are great to have on hand for a variety of recipes! The best part is that they’re super easy to grow on your own. Take the seeds from your pepper and plant them in soil, avoid direct sunlight and watch them grow!
- Garlic: Next time you bring home a head of garlic, remove one of the cloves and plant it with the root down in the soil. Keep outside in the sunlight and water two to three times per week.
- Cilantro: Cilantro can grow new leaves by simply placing the stems in a shallow cup of water near, or on a windowsill–it’s as easy as that!
- Onion: Cut the root of the onion at about 1/2-inch thick and place in soil. Allow the onion to get plenty of sunlight and keep the soil moist by watering as needed